All travel and lodging expenses for the Partners in Bleeding Disorders Education Program are covered by an at-will contribution from the Indiana Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center (IHTC) in Indianapolis, IN. The IHTC on behalf of the Partners Program aims to provide attendees an acceptable level of service and comfort with minimum inconvenience, and to accomplish this with a high level of safety at the lowest reasonable cost. The IHTC requires that attendees diligently manage travel expenses.
The following guidelines comprise the Travel Policy for all Basic and Advanced Partners Programs and the annual Partners Presentation Skills Workshop. This policy is established by the IHTC due to its at-will commitment to assist with program attendance expenses.
1. Overview of service and expense coverage
- Covered services and expenses
- Air travel from home city to Program city
- Ground transportation from airport to Program hotel/site
- Hotel lodging for the duration of the Program
- Mileage for driving via personal vehicle to the program location, reimbursed at current IRS Mileage Rate.
- Rental and gas expense for driving via standard/economy rented vehicle from the participant's home city to the program location.
- Taxi, as outlined in 2.c.i.
- Parking at conference site (for those driving to Program)
- Lunch on full program days
- Expenses not covered
- Travel/mileage to/from the participant's home airport
- Parking at the participant's home airport
- Baggage fees (i.e., attendees must pay all costs of checking bags)
- Meals and snacks that are not provided as part of the program [See Meals section 2e]
- In-room incidentals, including (but not limited to) room service and in-room Wi-Fi
- Alcoholic beverages
- Costs incurred for elective travel in the program location city
- Airline cancellation or transfer fees for tickets requiring changes after purchase
- Airfare, mileage, transportation, lodging, meals, and additional costs for individuals who are not registered Partners attendees [See
Additional Travelers section 5]
2. Attendance policies and procedures
- Hotel accommodations
- The Partners Program Coordinator will arrange hotel accommodations in advance.
- Air Travel
- The IHTC will pay for airline travel in advance via a program-contracted travel agent, Travel Leaders.
- Program attendees must use Travel Leaders to make travel arrangements unless otherwise authorized by the Program Coordinator. Contact information is provided in the participant welcome letter.
- En route changes made after normal business hours should be made through the Travel Leaders 24/7 emergency service and any associated charges must be paid by the attendee:
- Travel Leaders Phone Number 317-573-6666. Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm ET After Hours Emergency Travel Service: 800-309-9918 (calling code 9VO)
- Cost considerations
- Program attendees must fly coach class
- Program attendees are required to accept the lowest logical fare within a +/-2 hour time window. Exceptions require Partners Program Manager approval.
- Efforts will be made to schedule air travel according to the program attendee’s specifications. However, if non-stop flights or other specifications exceed funding available for the attendee, the travel agent will be advised to find an alternate flight; or the attendee will be asked to pay the difference (overage) for the cost of the requested flight.
- Program attendees should purchase plane tickets at least 21 days in advance to secure reduced fares. Advance purchase/nonrefundable tickets must be accepted whenever offered. Please notify Travel Leaders of any unused tickets.
- Fees associated with changes made to plane tickets after purchase will be the responsibility of the attendee. For instance, if IHTC purchases a ticket for a May program and the attendee changes to an August program, the flight change fee will be the responsibility of the attendee.
- Frequent flier mile programs
- Frequent flier miles may be used for seating upgrades only when the cost of the lowest logical fare is not increased or affected.
- Travelers may not specify carriers they are willing to utilize based on personal carrier preferences or frequent flier programs.
- The IHTC may arrange and pay in advance for ground transportation from the Program city airport to the Program hotel
- In cases where transportation from the Program airport to Program hotel/site is not arranged in advance, taxi expense will be reimbursed (receipt required).
- The same applies for return travel from the Program hotel/site to the Program city airport.
- The IHTC will arrange and pay for transportation between the participant’s hotel and the Program site.
- Hotel accommodations may include continental breakfast. Attendees who choose not to use this service are responsible for any breakfast expense.
- Room service is not a covered expense.
- Lunch is included on full program days only. On shortened/half-days, participants are responsible for their own lunch.
- The IHTC/Partners Program will provide an expense form for participants to document reimbursable expenses.
- Detailed/itemized receipts MUST be provided for all expenses.
- Participants can expect reimbursement within six weeks.
- Funding from the IHTC to cover Partners Program travel and lodging must be used responsibly. As such, individuals wishing to attend a Partners Program are asked to verify their availability before making travel and hotel arrangements.
- Individuals who are unsure of their availability are asked to delay registration until scheduling conflicts are resolved.
- In situations where a registered individual must cancel, the following conditions apply:
- Cancellations made less than 30 days prior to scheduled conference, and/or after plane ticket has been purchased, will be subject to the following:
- The registrant or his/her HTC will be required to reimburse the IHTC for any cancellation, transfer, and rebooking fees associated with the cancellation, within payment in full required within 30 days of program cancellation.
- The registrant or his/her HTC may be asked to cover the cost of unused hotel rooms and other accommodations stemming from the cancellation, with payment in full required within 30 days of program cancellation.
- Attendance at subsequent Partners Programs is contingent upon receipt of payment for outstanding fees. Attendance will be denied to the individual until cancellation-associated fees have been paid in full.
3. Car Travel
- Participants within driving distance of the program may choose to drive. Carpooling is encouraged when multiple attendees from a single location choose to drive.
- Stipulations regarding driving are as follows:
- If you drive a personal vehicle from your home city to the program location
- You will receive an expense form the IHTC.
- Your mileage will be reimbursed at the current IRS Mileage Rate (mileage documentation such as map required)
- If you rent a vehicle to travel from your home city to the program location
- You will receive an expense form the IHTC.
- You will be reimbursed for the rental cost for a standard/economy vehicle (receipt required).
- You will be reimbursed only for the cost of gasoline purchased for one round trip between your home city and the program location (receipts required).
4. Emergency Situation
- In the case of a natural disaster or national emergency, the Partners Program Manager and Coordinator will work with the attendee and travel agent to coordinate changes in travel plans and hotel stays.
5. Additional Travelers
- The IHTC will not cover expenses or make travel arrangements for individuals who are not registered attendees of a Partners Program.
- Participants who wish to bring additional travelers must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Participant must attend the entire Partners program (i.e., all sessions on all days).
- Guest(s) may not attend any session of the program or enter the program site
- Participant must pay for all ancillary costs for the additional traveler(s), including:
- Additional costs for extra guest(s) in hotel room
- The Partners Program Manager and Coordinator will not assist in coordinating air travel, transportation, or accommodations for guest(s).
+ Partners in Bleeding Disorders Education ("Partners") is a collaborative program and, in the context of Our Commitment to Privacy, includes the following organizations and groups: Partners Advisory Board, U.S. HTC Network Regional Coordinators, Indiana Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center, National Hemophilia Foundation, and Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan.
Last Updated: June 11 2019 10:59:32.